Jollytails Founders: Tristan Flynn & Pamela Smith
Tristan Flynn, CDBC, CPDT-KA, Co-Owner
Tristan Flynn is Co-Owner of Jollytails, a Certified Dog Behavior Consultant (CDBC) through the International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants and Certified Dog Trainer (CPDT-KA) from the Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers. These highly recognized and independent designations means our training programs are based on humane training practices and the latest scientific knowledge about dog training. In other words, Tristan’s dog training expertise is grounded in a thorough, extensive education and independent evaluation.
Prior to opening Jollytails, Tristan operated Golden Rule Training, visiting clients at home and providing dog consultations for aggression, anxiety, and many other issues. Tristan has lectured and done many seminars on many complex dog behavior issues including Dominance, Leash Reactivity and Aggression. Tristan has been a featured expert and interviewed by CTV News, Global, CBC News and been featured on CTV Morning live along with a host of interviews on News 95.7 talk radio. Tristan hosted a weekly call in show titled K9-Connection, which aired in 2013 for 8 months and was broadcast all over Atlantic Canada on the Rogers Radio Network. Tristan also hosted the Jollytails K9 Connection with Sheldon MacLeod in 2015-2016.
Tristan hosted the biweekly 'Dog Talk' segment on The Global Morning News, and is the author and presenter of "The Leash Reactivity Blueprint" Available from Tawzer Dog. Tristan is a popular presenter for the Pet Professional Guild and has hosted 2 global webinars on Daycare Operations and Reactive Dog Training.
APDT Trainers Education Committee Member 2016
- Lectured at the SPCA Wellness Conference in 2014 on Dominance in Dogs.
- Presented in Charlottetown, PEI hosted by the Delta on Reactive Dogs
- Featured Presenter 2015 Association of Professional Dog Trainer conference in Dallas, TX on Running a Multi-use Dog facility.
- Presented to the Atlantic Veterinary Collage on Dog Training in 2015.
- Featured Presenter for the Pet Professional Guild Summit in Tampa, Fl in 2016 on Reactive Dogs.
- Featured Presenter for the Pet Professional Guild in Orlando, Fl in 2017 on Alternate Training Styles.
Tristan has had the opportunity to work with some of the top experts in the world including Dr Ian Dunbar, Ken Ramirez, Kathy Sdao, John Rogerson, Dr Sophia Yin, Dr Karen Overall, Victoria Stillwell and many others.
Tristan lives with his 8 year old Bernese Mountain Dog, Freyja. She earned her Canadian Kennel Club Canine Good Neighbour Certification in 2011 and assists Tristan in training by attending puppy classes and demonstrations. Tristan currently teaches Adult Classes, Puppy level 1 & 2 and Reactive Dog classes at Jollytails.
He strongly believes and adheres to the CCPDT Code of Ethics.
Please visit Tristan's Media and Speaker page for more information or if you would like to interview or speak with Tristan.
- Certified Dog Behavior Consultant (CDBC) from the International Assocation of Behavior Consultants
- Highest Honors degree from Penn-Foster University as a Dog Obedience Trainer.
- Certified Pet Dog Trainer (CPDT-KA) from the Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers.
- Certified Canine Specialist Designation from the Pet Joint Advisory Council of Canada.
- Certified in Pet first aid from St john Ambulance.
- Certified Advanced Animal First Aid for Disaster Responders from Humane Society University.
- Implemented the Canine Life and Social Skills training program for the Nova Scotia SPCA. Gives regular advice on assessment and training of shelter dogs.
- Regularly lectures and does seminars on dog behavior including numerous interviews for News 95.7 and the CBC in Halifax. He has presented for the Altantic Veterinary Collage, APDT, PPG, NS SPCA and Dalhousie University
- Certified Canine Life & Social Skills Evaluator.
Pamela Smith, Co-Owner
Like many people, Pam has loved a lot of dogs in her life and grew up always having a furry friend in the family.She has tremendous respect for the relationship between canine and human, and only someone who has loved (and been loved by) a dog can understand just how sublime it is :)
Pam was completely new to the pet-industry when Jollytails opened its doors in July 2012. Having spent well over a decade in the public sector working for government, it would be a big change in her professional life. She is excited to be a part of something that makes her feel good, and is still thrilled every day to be able to deal with fellow dog-lovers and to have the opportunity to hang out with your four-legged best friends. Pam has learned so much about behaviour, nutrition and best-care practices along the way and continues to learn, working hard for your trust.
Pam has completed her Canine Nutrition certification (Cert.CN) through the Canine Animal Sciences Institute, and is working in her advanced certification.
Pam's partner in crime during the inception of Jollytails was an eight year old Basset Hound named George (but more often referred to as Mister Goober) who was diagnosed with cancer in December 2014. Georgie passed away in July 2015 - Jollytails was in part inspired by this wonderful little man, her heart dog.
These days, she can be found hanging out with her big fluffy BFF Marty, a two year old Old English Sheepdog.